Skip to main content
4. In the northern wall, next the apse: Christ with two
attendants ; in the background a walled city.
The Eastern Bay. On the northern wall;
5. Above the arched recess: two medallion heads of SS. Sergius
6. Portions of the figure of a warrior.
7. In the arch above Nos. 5 and 6 : the Gate of Paradise.
8. In the centre, one of the cherubims on a pillar. On the
left hand, a multitude, painted on black background outside Paradise j on the right, Paradise, a garden full of trees on a white background. Here also are John the Baptist and a figure, probably the Virgin and Child, on a throne, attended by two angels.
FIG. 116.—PLAN OF THE PARECCLESION, INDICATING POSITIONS OF ITS
On the southern wall:
8. A portion of the figure of an armed angel. Above No. 8 and at the side of the window :
9. Two men carrying a bier or platform. In front of them
a third person giving directions.
i o. In the arched recess ; full-length figures of Andronicus IL and his family. In the solit of the arch, the head of Christ in a medallion, with rays issuing from behind the aureola.
ii, and 12. In the spandrils above the recess; two heads in medallions.
13, In the dome vault: the Last Judgment. Christ in judgment fills the centre 5 behind Him are the twenty-four elders seated on a long throne $ farther back is gathered the heavenly host.